Practical and economical, the Baby carrier Can be used from birth to approximately three years, and is a good alternative to the cart when we want to take a walk in the countryside or the beach, access to complicated places, or do daily life with our baby attached to the body.
Are you still not sure if you need it? To help you decide, we explain its main advantages, and also some of its disadvantages:
Advantages of using the baby carrier
- The baby is very comfortable and feels protected: the position, the smell, the warmth, remind you of the mother’s womb. In fact, it is the recommended method of transportation for premature babies.
- The baby’s continuous movement and position-in the form of a frog-seem to relieve the infants’ famous cramping for the first three months. Also the cries.
- Communication between the baby and the parent carrier is reinforced.
- The baby carrier allows us to perform all kinds of tasks – like attending to other brothers – since we have both hands free.
- It is a great ally in big cities: metro, bus, narrow sidewalks, impossible stairs … not a problem.
- It is possible to breast feed on demand at any time or situation discreetly.
- They are usually affordable, do not take up much space when storing them – in fact, scarves, for example, can be folded in the bag – and if they are of good quality, will serve us for the next child.
Inconveniences of the use of the baby carrier
- Weight: no matter how well the weight is distributed, the average child grows more difficult to carry it, especially for long periods of time.
- When they know how to walk, babies want to go up and down all the time.
- Carriers are better designed to be standing, moving, and not sitting.
- It is not always easy to know how to use them or to tie them to take the baby in the correct position and that our spine does not suffer.
- We also have to learn how to dress the baby so that neither cold nor heat, and ourselves.
- If we give up the cart, we also give up one of its great advantages: the bag in which we carry everything the little one may need, and the space to deposit bags or other objects if we go shopping.
The rise of porteo One of the principles of Natural breeding– has caused a market outbreak in recent years, and today it is possible to find baby carriers for all tastes: backpacks, scarves, shoulder bags, mei tai, pouch … It will all depend on the age of our little one, his weight, and what Use let’s give it
These are the main Baby carrier types, Although there are many more:
Sold both by classic childcare brands and by more specialized ones, they can be used from birth to 20 kg of the child; The weight is distributed between the shoulders and the adult’s hip. In general, they can be placed in front, in the back, and to the hip. They are very practical to use, as they are easily removed and removed, although they have the disadvantage of not being recommended for newborn children, a problem that some brands have solved by adding a reducer. The oriental version of the backpack is the Mei-tai, A rectangle of cloth with four strips, two of them are knotted at the waist and the others are adjusted to the shoulders.
It is another of the most popular options. It consists of a piece of cloth that can be knotted in several ways, allowing many positions that, moreover, can be adapted to the growth of the child. It is the most versatile and inexpensive model, and the one that best fits the body of the little one. There are different lengths and fabric qualities. It has the disadvantage that it is necessary to have some practice to know how to use it and to make the knots well, although today there is much information available on the Internet and it is even possible to attend courses.
Bandolier with rings
It is a long fabric whose ends are joined by rings, allowing you to adjust it well. The weight is distributed in the back and one shoulder, which in the case of older children is not always comfortable. It is a very recommended baby carrier for breastfeeding, since the baby can be placed lying down, although it is not advised to carry it in that position. He pouch Is a variant of the shoulder strap, but without a ring.
In addition, there is a wide range of products associated with baby carriers, such as special coats or raincoats to carry them inside, longer than normal skirts, rings, blankets, and so on.
When we are going to use a baby carrier, we must take into account a series of recommendations to know how we should place the child in a comfortable and safe position for both:
- The ideal posture of porting, the most comfortable and recommended for the baby is the following: M-shaped legs (in frog, with knees higher than the bottom) and the back forming a C. That is, the baby has to Go sit no strung up In the baby carrier.
- The baby has to be well attached to the person wearing it, so if you bend down there are no slacks and the little one practically does not take off from your body.
- The baby should be high enough (you have to be able to kiss him on the head without stooping), so that his weight is distributed well on the hips and lumbars do not suffer.
- Make sure that the shoulder straps are wide enough to facilitate equitable weight distribution.
- Strips that go to the shoulders should not be placed near the neck, but should be placed on the shoulders, or between neck and shoulder, to prevent the neck from loading.
- It is strongly discouraged to carry the child facing forward with the baby carrier, since his / her spine is not prepared for the upright posture.